Being a big fan of the show Vampire Diaries, I was very excited to start reading the series. Book one, titled The Awakening by L.J. Smith, was very much disappointing. I knew coming into the book series that it was nothing like the show, but I had no idea how bad it was really going to be. For starters, the main character, Elena, in the show was very kind and giving and would do anything for her friends. The Elena character in the book was nothing like that. She was a brat, put in nicer terms, and expected her friends to do all her bidding and never did anything for them.
Another aspect that was disappointing was the love story. In the show, Elena has this epic romance with a vampire named Stephen. She is very wary of him at first though, for he is a vampire and she doesn't want to get hurt. It is the complete opposite in the book. She names Stephen as her prize trophy right when he moves to her school and stops at nothing to get her way. She is very whinny and needy to him and expects him to do things for her before they are even friends. She also confesses her undying love for him after their first date and basically says that she would die for him. I understand that this is a vampire book, therefore it is not realistic in the least bit, but the fact that she told him that she loved him right after meeting him makes me want to throw up. The author should really give Elena some self-respect so that she can show girls that you don't need a man in your life to be happy (or at least teach them to play hard to get a little bit). I have been told that the other books in the series are much better, however it would really take some convincing for me to pick up another Vampire Diaries book. I would advise those interested not to read this book, for I did not like it at all!
No comments:
Post a Comment