Monday, June 25, 2012

True Blood.... More than a Show

Many young adults (hopefully not too young) are big fans of the show called True Blood.  I, like many others, started watching the first season and fell in love with it.  Then someone told me that the show was based off of books.  How did I not know this?!?!  I immediately bought the first three books in hopes that I would love them as much as the show.  After reading book one titled Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris I knew that all my hopes had come true.  The thing that I loved so much about this book, was it was exactly like the show, but I could actually know the characters thoughts.  After the first novel, the books seem to no longer follow the show, but I love them still the same.  The book begins with a girl named Sookie who lives in a small town in Louisiana.  One interesting aspect of Sookie is that she can read the minds of others whether or not she wants to.  What makes these books so different from other vampire books is the fact that vampires are common knowledge to everyone.  Many years back vampires stepped out of the dark abyss and let the world know that they were there.  Instead of freaking out (which I'm sure many did as well) the world accepted them with a few stipulations, they could not kill, or bite without ones permission.  You may be wondering how they stay alive if they cannot bite others?  True blood was created.  True blood is a synthetic blood beverage that gives vampires the strength that they need to stay alive without having to bite anyone.  Pretty cool!!  The rest of the story follows Sookie through her small town live and the many adventures that she has with vampires (and believe me, there are a lot).  Later on in the series, the mystery behind Sookie's crazy talent is finally revealed.  I would buy these books right away for vampire and non-vampire lovers alike!
To learn more information about these books, visit the authors website!

No comments:

Post a Comment