I feel like the book, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs, had a lot of great potential, however it was very disappointing in the end. The book starts off through the eyes of Jacob Portman, a 16 year old, who goes to visit his grandfather to find him dying outside of his home. His grandfather, who all of Jacob's family thinks is nuts, claims that mystical creatures are trying kill him and that they would be after Jacob soon. In effort to learn more of his grandfather's past and discover the truth, Jacob travels to Wales and is shocked by what he finds. He learns that in this town is a house, and in this house time has stopped during the year 1940. Along with a world with no time, he discovers the people who live her also have unusual talents such as crazy strength, controlling fire, and ability to bring people back from the dead. With this new information, Jacob must decide with to believe in what he sees or run away screaming.
The one thing that I really liked about this book was the fact that there were pictures in every chapter. It has been a long time since I read a picture book so it was refreshing to see some images in the book. On the other hand, some of the pictures were very difficult to see on my e-reader. I would definitely suggest getting a paper version of this book, for some valuable plot information is in the pictures, and at times they were very hard to read. I was also disappointed in the last half of the book. I felt like the author was just getting tired of writing and wrapped the book up too quickly. He also left a lot of questions unanswered which was very annoying to me, especially since there are no talks of a sequel. It wasn't the worst book I have ever read, but there are better out there for sure.
No comments:
Post a Comment