Wednesday, July 11, 2012
The Giver
Many of the books which we are required to read in school are not necessarily our favorites. Yes, usually we enjoy some aspect of them and learn a valuable life lesson, but let's be honest, there is probably a book out there that we would rather be reading. I was required to read The Giver by Lois Lowry when I was in high school and I'm so glad that they made me. Not only does this book give a lesson to be learned, but it completely engrosses you into the plot. The book is about a boy named Jonas who lives in a community where you are given roles that you must do for the rest of your life when you are twelve. Jonas soon turns twelve and is told that he will work for the giver which is one of the best jobs that one can get. He is soon shocked when he starts his job because of the horrible things they want him to do. He quickly learns how corrupt the society is that he lives in and he must decide what to do about it. Even though this book is not a recent release, I have noticed a lot of book that have just came out have a very similar theme to them. For instance, Divergent and Delirium both have a corrupt society where one must choose the role they are to live in. I am all for these types of books because they really do a great job at keeping the reader guessing. The Giver is a type of book that everyone needs to read!
Labels:
Delirium,
Divergent,
Lois Lowry,
The Giver
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment